Backpacking to Heart Lake

Treacherous Trail

So I am new to backpacking in the mountains but I can tell you I cannot get enough of it. I love being in the wild. It’s quiet and you’re alone among the trees and the breeze, yet it is loud and you are never alone all at the same time. A couple days ago I attempted to do an over night up near Rogers Pass with my dog. I will preface this with the fact that Freda is still young and hasn’t learned that what she does on the leash effects the person holding that leash. She is pretty good about knowing the rules on the leash and walks right next to you but on the trail she doesn’t notice there isn’t enough room for that and needs to walk behind me. I say behind because in front she constantly turns around to see if I’m still following which can be pretty annoying when your trying to walk with weight on your back.

We started off at the Moffat Tunnel where the trail head begins. The first length of the trail, a couple of miles or so, was beautiful. Weather was great the trail was clear and I was motivated. I started seeing snow pretty early, I mean I knew there would be snow up there because I could see it from the base, but I didn’t expect to be in it this early. I pressed on, the snow couldn’t have made Freda (a Siberian Shepherd) any happier.. she was eating it and rolling in it with every chance she could. Her joy and playfulness was cute... at first. About another mile further I was in constant snow trusting that the human tracks were leading me to where I wanted to camp for the night. Other than forgetting my compass I was well prepared for the elements. (This trail is in a giant draw the only way you can get completely off is if you accidental go over a spur.. which you would notice) I have slept at high altitude in the snow before and typically when you get up to the lakes there are clear areas. I had a medical kit, a zero bag, long underwear, hat, gloves, gator neck.. the works. I was prepared.

With the afternoon heat the snow started to get soft and I was starting to fall through, which wasn’t too bad at first because the snow wasn’t too deep. I had to crawl up a pretty steep hill that I couldn’t get footing on and when I got to the top I stood up proud of myself...  only for Freda to get super excited and pull me over... damn near face planting the snow... I would love to say this is the only time she did this.. but it happened 2 more times. I had no stable footing so she had the power. The third time I fell it was smack down on top of her, and after that she no longer tried to run through the snow while attached to me. I was very tempted to let her go and you know where ever she ended up she ended up... I kid I kid..

Further up the we stood in one spot for about 20 minutes trying to figure out which way the trail went.. the tracks were gone and I was loosing confidence and energy. The snow was kicking my butt... Luckily a couple were coming down and asked if I knew where I was going. There were wearing camel backs and I had on a 35 pound pack...and they looked like they were struggling so I knew it was going to get even more difficult. I had been up here once before and the final assent is pretty steep and rocky, but there wasn’t snow on the ground till the top. They gave me some tips about the tracks not going the right way and to follow the river to get to the lakes but if I could get up there the lakes were clear... so I followed their tracks. Shortly after I saw them I crossed the final bridge and continued along the river. I crossed a smaller creek and there were footprints on the snow so like a dumbass I though it was all good... well Freda and I both fell through to knee high water.... good thing I was moving around because my tootsies were ice-pops. Between the cold water and snow my legs were pretty numb from the calf down... Yet I pressed on because I don’t give in very easy, even though my enjoyable hike was turning into a shit show. I made it another 1/4 mile and I saw foot prints to where I knew I was going yet a couple of factors had me worried. This snow was soft and the sign I had passed a little while back with only the letters showing let me know that snow was about chest deep. I was falling though to my knees over and over and the last time I barely pulled myself out. I tried crawling which helped but didn’t get you very far very fast and thats when I also noticed the sound of rushing water underneath the snow. It wouldn’t have worried me because others were making it up but I couldn’t stay on top of the snow.

(The Final Bridge)

It was with great sadness that I decided to turn back. I had made it within a 1/4 mile of my destination and decided that I shouldn’t go any further. Getting back down the last mile was almost as hard and getting up but at least gravity was on my side and I let myself just slide down sections. An eight mile loop and a great workout. I was looking forward to sleeping and painting up underneath the stars. The night was supposed to be absolutely clear, but sometimes you need to assess your situation and experience level and make the right call. Two days later and Freda still hasn’t moved.. tired puppy is a happy puppy. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flight Cancleled.... Buffering... Buffering

Dirt Roads and Mountain Air

Joey and the Chopper Boys - Jack Schit