Once Upon a Time in Thailand




A few years back my best friend and I took a two week trip to Thailand, and needless to say this country offers entertainment for all types of people. Meghan and I, being people who like to try it all, found ourselves in all sorts of situations, both amazing and life threatening. We did a loop of travel from Bangkok to Phuket and back where her mother was amazing enough to purchase us plane tickets. I have a love of trains, so like a stubborn fool, I took the trading down and a good person would have just gotten on the plane when someone is amazing enough to do something nice fore you. I returned with them on the plane but I still own Meghan's mom for the amazing gesture.


  Phuket was a beautiful vacation oasis, and seeing as though this was not to long after the tsunami, the beaches were clear and clean. I was supposed to be doing a triathlon but instead I laid in sand sipping dark rum drinks and enjoying the stress free life. This was a great place to just walk and meander the shops. Phuket was the quiet before the storm of Bankok and the Thai Mafia.
  Bankok's night life, as comparable to American night life, is hard to find if you don't know where it is. When we asked our hotel where the night life is we were sent to places like Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza. Being young and naive I had no clue what I was walking into until I realized all the girls were wearing the same clothes and numbers on there chests. I will refrain from details but I took the mentality "When in Rome" and partook in all the festivies, which was quite taxing on the soul, so we decided to leave the city and head for a temple to get tattoos. This did not go as planned. This was not a refrain. I went to the temple where Angelina Jolie got her tattoos, because I figured well I it worked for her I might as well. I knelt down and the guy pulled a needle from a jar of alcohol. Oh hell no I thought, so I said "New needle please!" I was told no this is fine and my response was no needle then no tattoo and I want my money back. He pretty much told me no and I was like give me my money! After argueing for a while I was told if I came back after hours I could get my money back (600USD), fine, perfect... I thought.  We went back to the cab and that's when the guy stated "Thai Mafia, they scary people, I wouldn't go back!" Well crap, we spent the day walking, visiting temples and praying to not get killed. When we returned the cab driver wouldn't even park near the tattoo place and he made us walk down the street. I get it, he thought they would kill us but there was a principle here. Meghan and I entered, adrenaline pumping, and asked the question again where I was handed a white envelope with angry facing looking down upon me. Terrified, we didn't waste any time, we ran out of the building, down the street, jumped in the car, and peeled away to safety!

  This vacation needed a positive twist so far it was full of strippers, prostitutes, booze and mafia. We searched the brochures and found the Kitti Raft tour. This was what the doctor ordered. We left the hotel and were brought to a boat which would take us to bathe with elephants, sleep on a boat house, jump from a bridge and enjoy a quiet night in the jungle. Bathing with elephants was one of the coolest experiences of my life. I was a child again playing with a puppy and it was marvelous. There were a few Germans on the tour who illuminated us to Khaosan Road the fun tourist club street in Bangkok. This trip was going back up!

  We returned to Bangkok for a couple more nights only this time well informed. We hopped on moped taxis and visited the palace, shopped the markets, saw traditional Thai Theater, ate amazing food and found the proper night life. Khoasan Road was a raging riot. We drank vodka Red Bull fish bowls while watching an Asian AC/DC cover band followed by an acoustic one man show covering music like Jason Mraz. This was the Thailand I wanted to see. The temples, the rich culture, and the beautiful nature and wildlife. Thank you Thailand for an amazing experience.










Photocred: Meghan White

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flight Cancleled.... Buffering... Buffering

Dirt Roads and Mountain Air

Joey and the Chopper Boys - Jack Schit